Re: Proposed Photography Policy

On Thu, 1 Mar 2018, Eric Rescorla wrote:

Hi folks,

The IESG has heard some concerns from participants that they would like
not to be photographed. In response to those concerns, we have developed
the attached policy which we intend to put in place going forward.

I had some thoughts about this when I discovered there is a "no photography" policy at my sons preschool. Not that it is properly enforced (annoyingly, why have rules you do not enforce?), but anyway.

I would imagine the problem is not the actual photography, but the fact that these pictures might end up on the Internet for "everybody" to see. For schools, there is the problem of protected identities etc. 20+ years ago pictures ended up in peoples albums at home for "nobody" to see, but now they might end up on public photo albums, being indexed by search engines. Having kids at school is not voluntary, so this kind of policy makes sense there. Attending an IETF meeting *is* voluntary (and there is less expectation of privacy), so I think we should strike a different balance than at a school (which the proposed policy seems to do).

The proposed policy seems to strike a pretty good balance between the interests of different people, but I'd like the wording to be clear that the ask is to not publish pictures of people who have the opt-out sticker on their badge. Not that photos can't be taken, but that the problem is the public publishing, not the photography itself. If photography is done in such a way that it's harassment, then let's use existing text for harassment instead of creating new rules for photography.

I want to avoid situations where someone with the "no-photography-sticker" can feel it's ok for them to run across the room, screaming at someone taking a photograph that they need to stop (and delete pictures) or the case will be brought to the ombudsman.

So I am cautiously supportive of the general direction of this proposed policy, but I'd like to question if we actually need a separate policy or if we can just add a little bit of text to existing policy and use the existing harassment policy to handle the really bad case?

So to sum up:

1. Sticker means person would not like to be included in widely available photographs and would prefer not to be photographed at all.
2. Repeated or obvious ignoring of these wishes might be harassment.

The current proposal says basically this (apart from the publishing part), but can we cut down the text even more?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx