Re: Proposal to revise ISOC's mission statement

On 08/11/17 03:36, Lee Howard wrote:
> Out of curiosity, can you point me to courts that have found a right to
> privacy where all three conditions existed (company device, company
> network, company time)?

First, IANAL etc. but I had a quick look.

There's the recent ECHR case, [1,2] (which I assume is the same as the
story behind the NYT paywall that Christian sent:-) On that one, I'd
not be surprised if advance notice is insufficient to allow employers
to try snarf everything - there's also a requirement for proportionality
that I'd bet will come back into play as we go along. There's a similar
sounding article about a Canadian case [3] as well. Our local data
protection commission guidance [4] also says similar things about not
being covert etc. And Germany as usual seems more protective of worker's
rights [5] saying a "concrete suspicion" is needed, for at least some
forms of monitoring, though that case involved a keylogger.

If I'm reading those right I think they all involve all 3 of your
conditions being satisfied and also all place further constraints on
what it's ok for employers to do.

Cheers,
S.

[1]