Re: Proposal to revise ISOC's mission statement

On 11/7/17, 4:23 PM, "Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi Lee,
>
>On 07/11/17 19:06, Lee Howard wrote:
>> You have no right to “intimate privacy” at work on your
>>company-owned
>> computer on the company network on company time.
>
>First, I don't think there's any need to (nor liklihood of)
>reaching consensus as to the above. FWIW, I don't agree
>with you, and nor would various court judgements in some
>places in the world. I fully accept that your position is
>one shared by a bunch of folks though.

Great summary: I am in the minority here, but it is not clear that there
is consensus.
Out of curiosity, can you point me to courts that have found a right to
privacy where all three conditions existed (company device, company
network, company time)?

>But in any case, there are many other forms of corporate
>surveillance (e.g. kid's toys calling home to the manuf
>for dodgy reasons) so I hope you'd agree that we don't
>have to have 100% agreement about all of that to agree
>that surveillance is not an issue that always involves a
>government actor.

Yes, that’s where we started. I was pointing out an additional vector of
surveillance, which might not be as easily dismissed. Your example is
another one (whether the reasons are dodgy or noble). Surveillance does
not always involve a government actor, and I think there’s consensus on
that. I further assert that there are conditions under which surveillance
is not evil, but that statement does not have consensus support.

Lee