Re: Proposal to revise ISOC's mission statement

On 11/7/17, 4:59 AM, "ietf on behalf of Stephen Farrell"
<ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx on behalf of stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hiya,
>
>On 07/11/17 07:49, Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
>> Hi Keith,
>>
>> ah, now I see where you are coming from. Yes, we are also discussing
>> whether ISOC should be closer to a neutral "convener" or, instead,
>> "advocate" more strongly in certain areas... and the ideal role may
>> depend on the particular area, actually.
>>
>> In summary, yes, we are thinking about it... and, FWIW, based on my
>> discussions many IETFers share your view.
>
>As an input there, (not that you'll be short of them:-),,, I
>hope that ISOC don't differentiate too much between government
>surveillance and corporate surveillance. While the latter
>may have some fig-leaf of so-called "consent" or clicked-EULA,
>it's the same information being gathered/centralised etc. (And
>of course the latter form of surveillance can nicely feed the
>former when companies are compelled.)

Another form of corporate surveillance is monitoring your employees’ use
of your corporate resources. I hope we don’t collectively object to that.
Similarly, parents may surveill their childrens’ use of family resources.

Lee