Re: [Tools-discuss] messaging formatting follies, was The IETF's email

On Fri, Aug 25, 2023 at 12:42 PM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What is "interactive email"?

The short version is any email that the recipient can interact with.    There were experiments done with interactive email at least as far back as the 1980s, for example with the Andrew Message System that Nathaniel Borenstein contributed to, but there were other systems also that I've never tried personally.

I still don't know what this means.  Does it mean anything that contains more than text?  I mean, I think a message thread such as this one qualifies for some definition of "interactive".  Or do you mean forms?  Or images or animations/videos?  Executable payloads?

Why wasn't it further developed here?  If it lost momentum, I'm not sure I'd agree with characterizing that as "failure"; maybe people just weren't interested, or their attention wandered.

-MSK