Re: [Tools-discuss] messaging formatting follies, was The IETF's email

In Thunderbird: View | Message Body As | Plain Text

This is always on and in my experience any email that becomes ineligible because of that is not worth my attention.

That's nice, but there's no Thuderbird for tablets or phones, and the numbers I've seen say it has about a 2% share of desktop users. Your ASCII art does look fine in Alpine which is what we Real Men(tm) use.

Even if I could find an MUA that showed messages in fixed pitch text, on a tablet, it would be too small for my tired old eyes to read, and on a phone too small for anyone to read. There's a reason MIME added proportional fonts and flowed text, so that actual people can read their mail.

It's amazing how many people here appear to believe that mail was perfect in the 1990s and nothing has changed. I better not ask if anyone uses IPv6.

R's,
John