Re: [Tools-discuss] formatting follies, was The IETF's email

On Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 4:38 PM John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It appears that Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>Seems about time to take this off the IETF list with a bunch of action
>items for a design team interested in working on this under NOTE WELL:
>
>* Should ping Nathaniel Bornstein who definitely has a dog in this fight
>even if it is only the satisfaction of being right (CCd)
>
>* An ID looking towards being an informational RFC to specify a single
>dialect of Markdown, I think this has to describe what GitHub does because
>that is driving convergence.

Are we serioualy proposing to invent yet another mail format
incompatible with every existing mail format? I find it hard to
believe that is a good use of anyone's time.

SMTP email is not the only messaging format in use and it has been gradually losing market share.

Person to person communication is no longer limited to email, there is instant messaging, chat, voice and video all growing in popularity. The EU has decided those infrastructures are going to interoperate no matter what the execs of certain trillion dollar enterprises would like to happen. And they certainly have widespread popular support for that.

So it is a matter of when, not if a mail format is added to those other messaging formats once interop is achieved.