Re: [Tools-discuss] messaging formatting follies, was The IETF's email

On 8/25/23 13:25, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

On Thu, Aug 24, 2023 at 9:46 AM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We've done nothing to explore the potential for interactive email, or even examined what support is needed in email standards to enable it.
What is "interactive email"?

The short version is any email that the recipient can interact with.    There were experiments done with interactive email at least as far back as the 1980s, for example with the Andrew Message System that Nathaniel Borenstein contributed to, but there were other systems also that I've never tried personally.

These days you can do some of those things with just HTML email and maybe some cleverness on the web server.  But it's clunky.   It would be good to have some standards to allow such emails to be implemented in mail readers (many of which understand HTML anyway), with due consideration for users' privacy, and to avoid the need to open a separate browser window every time a recipient clicks a button in such an email.

Keith

p.s. I might be able to resurrect some old code for a demo.