Re: [Tools-discuss] messaging formatting follies, was The IETF's email

On 8/24/23 11:22, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

What aspects of email needed standardization and interoperability that didn't get it?

Given the grassroots nature of how the IETF generally does work, it seems like an interesting idea that we should be asserting ourselves over an area (and finding people willing to volunteer to do so).  If the community didn't spontaneously demonstrate that momentum, I wonder what you think should've been done differently.

Mostly, we've failed to adapt email to changing conditions.

I won't say that we've made absolutely no efforts to do those things.   e.g. We've tried to make IMAP work better for mobile devices.  I'm not in a position to evaluate how successful we were, but I do recognize that sincere and significant efforts were made.  And we also tried, long ago, to find ways of dealing with spam.  I remember how painful and fruitless those discussions were, so I can understand why people are reluctant to wade into those waters again.  But conditions do change over time, and changing conditions can bring new opportunities.

But some specific failures (in no particular order):

I'm sure I could come up with other examples, but perhaps those will do for a start.

Most of these problems aren't simple to solve, but that's no excuse for ignoring them or pretending that they don't exist.

Keith