Re: [Tools-discuss] messaging formatting follies, was The IETF's email

On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 10:54 AM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 8/22/23 11:51, John R Levine wrote:

> It's amazing how many people here appear to believe that mail was
> perfect in the 1990s and nothing has changed.

I certainly don't make that claim, and I haven't seen anyone do so.
What I will claim is that email worked better in the 1990s than it does now.
(that's not entirely IETF's fault, but IETF has arguably failed to keep
email updated to deal with the changes in the 'net since then.)

What aspects of email needed standardization and interoperability that didn't get it?

Given the grassroots nature of how the IETF generally does work, it seems like an interesting idea that we should be asserting ourselves over an area (and finding people willing to volunteer to do so).  If the community didn't spontaneously demonstrate that momentum, I wonder what you think should've been done differently.

-MSK