Re: rawhide net install image doesn't work with bios partitions

On Thu, 30 May 2019 11:53:43 -0600
Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's a useful size for experimenting with systemd-boot, which
> expects kernels + initramfs and BLS snippets to all go on the EFI
> system partition. The Fedora installer's default for the EFI system
> partition is around 200MiB, and the most I've seen Fedora's
> bootloaders use is ~14MiB.

I'm going to look into alternatives since I seem to be having such
little success with the default.  I'll investigate sd-boot.

> Some firmware only boot CD's with CSM. Other firmware, you must use
> the built-in boot manager, which shows what firmware type will be
> presented when booting the CD, i.e. you'll see the CD listed twice.
> Once with UEFI listed; and also without or possibly with the word
> "Legacy"

Solved this at least.  If I edit the boot line, and knock off quiet,
I see something close to "EFI stub:  Booting UEFI in secure mode", so
I know that I'm booting in UEFI now.

> After you boot installation media you can check what firmware is
> presented with # efibootmgr
>
> If entries appear, it's UEFI. If an error appears, it's CSM/BIOS. And
> if it's CSM/BIOS then defining a /boot/efi mount point is invalid. If
> you want a UEFI installation, it's mandatory that you figure out a way
> to boot the install media in UEFI mode. Even if it means you have to
> create a USB stick, and must abandon CD booting.

This is a handy way to check and confirm.  Good for future reference.
But, as I mentioned in other posts, on hold for now.