Re: rawhide net install image doesn't work with bios partitions

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 11:12 AM stan <upaitag@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 May 2019 11:50:20 -0700
> Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On 5/30/19 9:52 AM, stan wrote:
> > > # mount -t vfat /dev/sda8 /mnt/to_efi
> > > mount: /mnt/to_efi: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock
> > > on /dev/sda8, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
> >
> > Check the journal to see if there is any more info.
> > Also, run "file -s /dev/sda8" to see what is there.
>
> # file -s /dev/sda8
> /dev/sda8: DOS/MBR boot sector, code offset 0x58+2, OEM-ID "mkfs.fat", sectors/cluster 8, Media descriptor 0xf8, sectors/track 63, heads 255, hidden sectors 10240, sectors 4184064 (volumes > 32 MB), FAT (32 bit), sectors/FAT 4080, serial number 0x8c3a0e05, label: "efi_system "
>
> From the journal,
> May 31 09:55:31 localhost.localdomain kernel: FAT-fs (sda8): IO charset
> iso8859-1 not found

How did you format this partition? Did anaconda do it? What install
media? I have Fedora 31 clean installed in a VM using UEFI and haven't
run into this, so I suspect some kind of confusion. Maybe don't use -t
vfat flag and just let it auto detect?

> Isn't that a window's charset?  It's crazy that I need that to access a
> partition. But that shouldn't affect the new install's ability to boot,
> since it must presumably have that charset available to install
> everything.   And it just drops to a grub prompt when I try to boot
> it.

That you get a GRUB prompt suggests the firmware found GRUB. It either
can read this FAT format EFI System partition to read EFI GRUB, or
found your old BIOS GRUB. You can maybe determine which one from GRUB
environment variables with the 'set' command. But yeah this is deep in
the weeds.

> I'm taking a break from this as I seem to be spinning my wheels.

That is often the case with Rawhide. But you're also dealing with
multiple things all the same time. So it's sortof chaos theory at play
that as you work through one problem you run into another one. It's a
fine line between sticking with it and literally walking away.

--
Chris Murphy