Re: rawhide net install image doesn't work with bios partitions

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 8:20 AM stan <upaitag@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 May 2019 23:20:08 -0700
> Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > If you are booting in UEFI mode, then yes, they are required.  If you
> > don't want that, you need to boot in legacy or CSM mode.
>
> Thanks for the tip.  That enables me to see the problem, but not how to
> correct it.  The boot stanza for the iso uses linuxefi and initrdefi.
> I can edit the stanza just like a regular boot, but if I try to change
> those to linux16 or initrd16, the default on my system, they are not
> found. I tried linux too, just in case it had been made generic, but no
> go.  My experience was that no matter how I tried to bypass the efi
> boot, I did not succeed. I looked at the rest of the suboptions
> available, and there wasn't one obvious to my eye that implied an
> override of the efi boot.
>
> Do you have further insight that will enable me to bypass this hurdle?

That you get GRUB from installation media tells me your computer is
presenting itself as having UEFI firmware, because on computers with
BIOS firmware the installation media will use isolinux as the
bootloader, not GRUB. If the firmware is UEFI, GPT partitioning is
required (same as Windows) by the installer. It's been this way since
forever, at least Fedora 18.

Most UEFI firmware today have a "legacy" option or "uefi
enable/disable" option in firmware setup, that will cause a faux-BIOS
to be presented instead of UEFI. These days I'm not sure why you'd
want to use that, unless you have specific known UEFI firmware bugs
that aren't going to be fixed by the manufacturer and also don't have
work arounds in either GRUB or the kernel. So I don't really
understand why this system has an MBR partitioning scheme in the first
place (there are older hardware in the Windows 7 era that were UEFI
but shipped with the compatibility support module enabled to present
BIOS).

Anyway, you need to be looking in firmware setup for this. Probably. I
have seen some computers with in-firmware boot manager that shows a
USB boot option with a UEFI prefix suggesting they will only boot in
UEFI mode from USB if you choose that option; and still another option
for the same USB device but without a UEFI prefix (or with a legacy
prefix) and that enables the CSM for that boot - it's not a persistent
setting. It's kindof a sneaky user interface convention.

Off topic:
Also, FYI, your mail server configuration asks other mail servers to
consider your forwarded emails as suspicious, so gmail users likely
don't see your emails at all. I found your post in spam. I don't know
for sure the proper way to fix it, but a discussion just happened on
devel@ about it. I'm inclined to think this is a Fedora mail server
misconfiguration and the poster's mail server's dmarc header should be
stripped and replaced with its own (i.e. verify the posted email is
valid per dmarc/dkim, then strip that header; and resign the message
for the list), but ya whatever.

       arc=fail (body hash mismatch);
       spf=pass (google.com: domain of
test-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx designates 209.132.181.2 as
permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=test-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
       dmarc=fail (p=REJECT sp=REJECT dis=QUARANTINE) header.from=zoho.com

--
Chris Murphy