Re: rawhide net install image doesn't work with bios partitions

On Mon, 2019-05-27 at 10:00 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 8:20 AM stan <upaitag@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, 26 May 2019 23:20:08 -0700
> > Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > If you are booting in UEFI mode, then yes, they are required.  If you
> > > don't want that, you need to boot in legacy or CSM mode.
> >
> > Thanks for the tip.  That enables me to see the problem, but not how to
> > correct it.  The boot stanza for the iso uses linuxefi and initrdefi.
> > I can edit the stanza just like a regular boot, but if I try to change
> > those to linux16 or initrd16, the default on my system, they are not
> > found. I tried linux too, just in case it had been made generic, but no
> > go.  My experience was that no matter how I tried to bypass the efi
> > boot, I did not succeed. I looked at the rest of the suboptions
> > available, and there wasn't one obvious to my eye that implied an
> > override of the efi boot.
> >
> > Do you have further insight that will enable me to bypass this hurdle?
>
> That you get GRUB from installation media tells me your computer is
> presenting itself as having UEFI firmware, because on computers with
> BIOS firmware the installation media will use isolinux as the
> bootloader, not GRUB. If the firmware is UEFI, GPT partitioning is
> required (same as Windows) by the installer. It's been this way since
> forever, at least Fedora 18.

Right. Nothing has changed in the media here AFAIK. If you boot from
the firmware to the Fedora install media in a UEFI-native way, the
installer will boot UEFI-native and require you to do a UEFI-native
install. If you boot from the firmware to the Fedora install media in a
BIOS-native way, the installer will boot BIOS-native and require you to
do a BIOS-native install.

This isn't something we (Fedora) control, it's between you and your
system's firmware. Either you aren't writing your install media and/or
booting them quite the same as you did before, or your firmware's
configuration has changed somehow from preferring BIOS-native boot to
UEFI-native boot. You should be able to find a way to do a BIOS-native
boot in the firmware UI somewhere, though.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey