Re: rawhide net install image doesn't work with bios partitions

On 5/28/19 1:23 PM, stan wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 10:26:10 -0600
Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One possible gotcha is the boot volume needs to be big enough. For a
few releases it's been 1GiB which probably is big enough for two
Fedora's to share, because we don't use kdump by default whereas I
guess it's configured on RHEL and that was the impetus behind the boot
volume size change.

Does this larger boot volume have to be at the start of the drive.
Could I re-purpose a swap partition into a boot volume?

The /boot partition can be anywhere. I generally don't even create a separate partition, it's just included in /. But if you're wanting to share it, it would need to be separate.

So, couldn't there be a utility, which when the user points it at an
alternate installation, it creates a link in the boot volume with
priority.  The way grub(1) used to do with the configfile entry.

You can still do that. Even with BLS I would expect you could add an entry in the static part of the grub.cfg to point to the other installation.

Another gotcha is on UEFI, the older Fedora during software updates
will (rarely) need to update the bootloader which will step on the
binary files in /boot/efi/EFI/fedora, which isn't the end of the world
but it's probably better if the old Fedora /etc/fstab is modified to
remove the automount of /boot/efi so that the EFI System partition
isn't ever updated except by the new Fedora.

For a single large boot directory for all OSs on the system, couldn't
there be a directory for each OS, allowing for both update and a
boot selection screen (a menu of available OSs).

Probably, but you would somehow have to convince each OS install to update its own part.

On UEFI the contents of the EFI system partition in EFI/fedora are
blown away and replaced. It's been that way since we've had UEFI
support as far as I can recall. The nice thing is that on Fedora 30
with BLS support, the grub.cfg on the ESP no longer contains the
Fedora menu entries, those are now on the boot volume. So they will be
preserved, but again they're ignored out of the box because we don't
automatically share boot volumes.

I'm not familiar with the term ESP.  From context, some kind of
partition?  Is the boot volume you refer to where the Fedora menu
entries are stored /boot?  Or a separate partition?

It's the EFI boot partition where the firmware knows to find the boot loaders. It's not /boot, it's normally mounted at /boot/efi.