Re: rawhide net install image doesn't work with bios partitions

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 11:27 AM stan <upaitag@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 May 2019 10:00:02 -0600
> Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > That you get GRUB from installation media tells me your computer is
> > presenting itself as having UEFI firmware, because on computers with
> > BIOS firmware the installation media will use isolinux as the
> > bootloader, not GRUB. If the firmware is UEFI, GPT partitioning is
> > required (same as Windows) by the installer. It's been this way since
> > forever, at least Fedora 18.
>
> Yes, the firmware is UEFI.  But, the hard drives have been in use with
> older hardware that wasn't.  My understanding is that it is difficult
> and chancy to convert from legacy partitions to GPT partitioning.  Is
> that false?

It should be possible.

# fdisk -l /dev/

ideally the first partition starts at LBA 2048. If not...well cross
that bridge later.

Next run gdisk on this device. It will read the MBR, create a GPT from
it in memory, and you can write out GPT to disk with the 'w' command.
That's it. You need free space on that drive for the installer to
create an EFI System partition, which contains bootloader stuff rather
than the MBR gap.

Per the UEFI spec, this should not be necessary, but due to past
experience with bugs, I would probably opt for zeroing the first 440
bytes of LBA 0 on this drive, which is where the stage 1 (BIOS) GRUB
bootloader is located. On UEFI all the GRUB stuff is on the EFI System
volume.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/becareful bs=1 count=440

> I thought that I had done a direct install for Fedora 21.  It was the
> last time that the BFO option worked for direct install from the net
> instead of using media.

This?
https://boot.fedoraproject.org/download

That's definitely BIOS only. In theory it could be dual UEFI and BIOS,
but no one's done that work and testing. The image would be much
bigger. The ones on that page are ~1MiB. I casually estimate a dual
UEFI + BIOS image would be ~10MiB.

--
Chris Murphy