Re: rawhide net install image doesn't work with bios partitions

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 12:53 PM stan <upaitag@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, I decided to go for the UEFI install after creating an EFI system
> partition on the drive.
>
> Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
>    1         2097152         4194303   1024.0 MiB  8300
>    2         4194304         6291455   1024.0 MiB  0700
>    3         6291456        48234495   20.0 GiB    8200
>    4        48234496       572522495   250.0 GiB   8300
>    5       572522496      1096810495   250.0 GiB   0700
>    6      1096810496      5860532223   2.2 TiB     0700
>    7            2048            6143   2.0 MiB     EF02
>    8            6144         2097151   1021.0 MiB  EF00  EFI System Partition

That's a useful size for experimenting with systemd-boot, which
expects kernels + initramfs and BLS snippets to all go on the EFI
system partition. The Fedora installer's default for the EFI system
partition is around 200MiB, and the most I've seen Fedora's
bootloaders use is ~14MiB.

> And now, no matter what I do in the firmware options, just to be
> perverse, the CD *will not* boot in UEFI mode.

Some firmware only boot CD's with CSM. Other firmware, you must use
the built-in boot manager, which shows what firmware type will be
presented when booting the CD, i.e. you'll see the CD listed twice.
Once with UEFI listed; and also without or possibly with the word
"Legacy"

>I even tried getting
> rid of the mbr record during install, but it just told me that it is
> required for an mbr system, even when I include the /boot/efi
> partition as part of the install. And then, it continues to loop forever
> when trying to install the boot record as mbr.

I cannot parse this at all into actual actions in the installer so I
don't know what you're doing and can't tell if it's user error or a
bug.

What you still seem confused about is the installer itself has no
control over whether the system is booted with UEFI or CSM/BIOS being
presented. That is a firmware function, and it's selected at boot
time. Once selected, the installer honors it and will only do an
installation compatible with the current presentation of the firmware.

After you boot installation media you can check what firmware is presented with
# efibootmgr

If entries appear, it's UEFI. If an error appears, it's CSM/BIOS. And
if it's CSM/BIOS then defining a /boot/efi mount point is invalid. If
you want a UEFI installation, it's mandatory that you figure out a way
to boot the install media in UEFI mode. Even if it means you have to
create a USB stick, and must abandon CD booting.

> I give up for the time being.  It's strange there isn't a switch that I
> can set to explicitly tell it to install as UEFI.

I can understand the confusion but it's not strange. It could be a
badly designed user interface by the firmware manufacturer. And it's
also possible you've found a firmware bug. You should make sure the
firmware is on the latest revision available by the manufacturer.
Quite a lot of bugs can be worked around by shim and GRUB but quite a
lot of bugs can only be fixed by firmware updates.

--
Chris Murphy