Re: rawhide net install image doesn't work with bios partitions

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 9:28 PM Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The /boot/efi partition is a FAT-formatted partition that is specially
> marked for the firmware to find.  It is possible for the grub configs to
> be there, but Fedora doesn't put them there.  That's how it has been
> until now.  I don't know for sure where the BLS files go.

Fedora does put the grub.cfg on the EFI system partition at
/boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg - which is not how upstream does it.
Upstream GRUB expects grub-install creates an EFI OSLoader binary that
points to where GRUB stores its files which is /boot/grub (upstream
doesn't tack on a '2' to everything, that's a Red Hat / Fedora
convention). And hence much confusion ensued on Fedora, where to point
grub2-mkconfig -o

There are two symlinks on all Fedora installations:
lrwxrwxrwx.  1 root root        22 May 20 11:14 grub2.cfg ->
../boot/grub2/grub.cfg
lrwxrwxrwx.  1 root root        31 May 20 11:14 grub2-efi.cfg ->
../boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

Blek. I don't like it. But that's the way it is.

BLS files always go in /boot/loader/entries on Fedora - that is from
the fully assembled file system and user space perspective. The
original bootloaderspec just says $BOOT/loader/entries where $BOOT is
the EFI system partition, but Fedora doesn't do that out of the box.
You can retrofit it after installation to do it the systemd-boot way,
and kernel-install supports it (I'm not sure if it only supports /boot
as the mount point for the EFI system partition or also /efi)

> The BLS files are probably in the /boot partition, same as the grub.cfg
> now.  My understanding is that the grub.cfg file is still the initial
> file loaded and it points to where the BLS files are.  (I really need to
> install a system to see how this really works.)  You can still add your
> own entries to the grub.cfg to do other things.  Or you could probably
> make a BLS file to point to the other OS grub.cfg.

BLS files have limited keys, unlike grub.cfg's many commands available
- BLS format is similar to the GRUB Legacy *conf file format, except
no such concept of physical devices or volumes. All paths in the conf
file is relative to the volume the conf file is on.

> If both installs are using BLS, then you could add something to the main
> grub.cfg to point to the other set of BLS files as well.  In the end,
> you either have to have separate EFI boot entries for the installs or
> one of the installs has to have the master config.

Another thing I just thought of: everytime a new kernel is installed
it writes to grubenv the saved_entry variable, setting the most
recently installed kernel title. That's now the default boot.

I'm not really sure of a good work around for that, other than manual
intervention. In particular you'd want to disable the hidden grub menu
variable in grubenv, so that you have a chance of seeing and changing
what will boot.

--
Chris Murphy