Re: rawhide net install image doesn't work with bios partitions

On Wed, 29 May 2019 21:41:13 -0600
Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for the detailed response.  That's complicated, and I've saved it
for future reference; I'll need to let it settle for a while before
reading it again.

> No symlinks on FAT.
>
> As complicated as it seems, the way forward for two or more Fedora's
> is a separate boot volume that's shared among them. And remove the
> automount of the EFI system partition on the older distro versions.
> GRUB + blscfg.mod will see /boot/loader/entries contains a bunch of
> *conf files, one per each distro specific kernel installed.
>
> OK I just realized a problem. There is only one grubenv and it will
> define the root file system as a variable that all of the *conf files
> will pick up and set as a boot parameter.
>
> Option 1: It is possible to change 'options $kernelopts ' by removing
> $kernelopts and explicitly list the boot parameters you want including
> a different root.
> Option 2: It is possible to have two, maybe three, different variables
> for kernel options in the grubenv, each with a different root; and
> then just edit the older *conf files to use the proper variable, .e.g.
> $kernelopts30 or $kernelopts31
> Option 3: It is possible to have more than one 'options' key in each
> *conf file and they are combined
>
> So an fc30 conf file:
> options $kernelopts
> options root=/dev/mapper/fedora-root30
>
> And fc31 conf file
> options $kernelopts
> options root=/dev/mapper/fedora-root31
>
> That would cause both fc30 and fc31 to boot with the same kernel
> options in common except for the root which is explicitly set in the
> *conf file. I haven't tested how the *conf files are created however;
> I don't know if they are copied, which would preserve the custom
> defined root, appropriate for that distro version. So this needs
> testing and a write up if it works.

Would a simple alternative be to install the UEFI Fedora versions on
different disks?  Each would have their own /boot/efi so they wouldn't
step on each other.  And just selecting a different disk to boot would
select the different version of Fedora on that disk.  No solution to
the general problem, but an easy implementation if there is more than
one disk.

> The installer has a rather explicit bootloader related error message
> if a /boot/efi mount point is not defined on a computer with UEFI
> firmware presented. A common test@ axiom is: don't tell us it didn't
> work or that it failed. Tell us exactly in detail what did happen.
> i.e. a screenshot or cell photo of the point of failure, and likely
> also logs.

I deleted the mbr partition with gdisk, and retyped all the existing
linux partitions to linux filesystem (8300), and the install then
succeeded, and seems to be UEFI, though it failed to boot, which I am
still investigating.  There are BLS entries in /boot/loader/entries.

# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Device          Start        End    Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sda1     2097152    4194303    2097152    1G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda2     4194304    6291455    2097152    1G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda3     6291456   48234495   41943040   20G Linux swap
/dev/sda4    48234496  572522495  524288000  250G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda5   572522496 1096810495  524288000  250G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda6  1096810496 5860532223 4763721728  2.2T Linux filesystem
/dev/sda8        6144    2097151    2091008 1021M EFI System