Re: Firefox "Looking Glass" fiasco

On Mon, 2017-12-18 at 12:59 -0800, Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 12:51 PM, Adam Williamson <
> adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > > The only reason we are beating a dead horse is because you keep
> > > telling us that we shouldn't have beaten a dead horse in a way that
> > > requires us to explain why we are doing so. Look we understand.. you
> > > think we should all be friends again. Some of us however are on the
> > > "Play a trick on me once, shame on you.. Play a trick on me twice..
> > > shame on me" and this is number 3 or 4..
> >
> > Right. As my original mail should have made clear to you but apparently
> > didn't, the point where I disagree with you is the idea that Mozilla
> > has "learnt its lesson". Nothing in any Mozilla statement I've seen so
> > far makes me believe that Mozilla has actually learned the right
> > lesson, and as Smooge points out, it is beginning to build up a track
> > record which makes me less willing to just trust that they have without
> > them explicitly stating it and outlining exactly what they have changed
> > in order to ensure that more things like this don't happen in future.
> >

> Everyone makes mistakes - this wasn't the first by Mozilla and won't be the
> last.  I don't believe
> they are acting out of malice.  As long as they admit and correct mistakes
> as they go along
> that is fine with me.  In any event, I don't believe this is a Fedora issue
> - it's an upstream issue.
> If you're unhappy with a particular direction or decision regarding Fx, it
> would be better to air those
> concerns upstream.

Again, this is something I covered in my original mail. We distribute
Firefox as the default browser to a large number of people who trust us
to provide them with software. This gives us both a responsibility to
our users and, presumably, some level of organized clout with Mozilla:
I believe they will treat the concerns of the Fedora project with
somewhat more interest than they would treat the concerns of...me.

Raising it with upstream is exactly what I am suggesting, but I am
suggesting that *the Fedora project* raises it with upstream. Not me.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey