Re: Firefox "Looking Glass" fiasco

On Mon, 2017-12-18 at 20:52 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 12/18/2017 08:31 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > I don't remember being actively asked about such data collection, and
> > I've recently installed on a clean system, nightly on Fedora, and then
> > final releases of 57 on Windows and macOS. Does anyone have a screen
> > shot or description of what this "ask" looks like, and when it
> > appears?
>
> It keeps changing.  Currently, it's a pop-under tab shown once if you
> open a new profile, using this URL:
>
> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/firefox/>

So I just booted Firefox 27 Workstation live and opened Firefox.
Indeed, a pop-under tab appears with this URL (so you can close it
without even seeing it). The relevant text reads:

"Firefox by default shares data to:
Improve performance and stability for users everywhere

    Interaction data: Firefox sends data about your interactions with
Firefox to us (such as number of open tabs and windows; number of
webpages visited; number and type of installed Firefox Add-ons; and
session length) and Firefox features offered by Mozilla or our partners
(such as interaction with Firefox search features and search partner
referrals).

    Technical data: Firefox sends data about your Firefox version and
language; device operating system and hardware configuration; memory,
basic information about crashes and errors; outcome of automated
processes like updates, safebrowsing, and activation to us. When
Firefox sends data to us, your IP address is temporarily collected as
part of our server logs."

I would suggest that nothing in this text reasonably covers "shield
studies"; it was clearly written to cover old-school telemetry, not
this later and more extensive capability to install custom-written add-
ons to perform additional data collection. Yet the "Allow Firefox to
install and run studies" checkbox is checked by default.

And in any case, a tie-in with a television-show related game is
clearly neither telemetry nor some kind of user interaction study. Yet
to me, Mozilla's response does not seem to convey understanding of this
at all. It basically just says "oh don't worry it didn't do anything by
default", which is sort of grandly missing the point.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey