Firefox "Looking Glass" fiasco

So in case you haven't heard of it (or noticed about it), there was a
kerfuffle in Firefox land recently about this:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/16/16784628/mozilla-mr-robot-arg-plugin-firefox-looking-glass

As part of a tie-in with an American TV show, Mozilla thought it'd be a
great idea to silently install a cryptically-named addon in all(?)
Firefox deployments. Which can't be turned off.

This is concerning enough - a Random Internet Person quoted in the
article has a solid explanation as to why:

"There are several scary things about this:

- Unknown Mozilla developers can distribute addons to users without
their permission

- Mozilla developers can distribute addons to users without their
knowledge

- Mozilla developers themselves don't realise the consequences of doing
this

- Experiments are not explicitly enabled by users

- Opening the addons window reverts configuration changes which disable
experiments

- The only way to properly disable this requires fairly arcane
knowledge Firefox preferences (lockpref(), which I'd never heard of
until today)"

Mozilla's response is also, IMHO, rather worrying, because it seems to
fail entirely to grasp how concerning this kind of action is, and seems
concerned instead with self-justification and downplaying:

“Our goal with the custom experience we created with Mr. Robot was to
engage our users in a fun and unique way,” a Mozilla representative
said in a statement. “Real engagement also means listening to feedback.
And so while the web extension/add-on that was sent out to Firefox
users never collected any data, and had to be explicitly enabled by
users playing the game before it would affect any web content, we heard
from some of our users that the experience we created caused
confusion.”

(FWIW I don't think that statement is even factually correct; I can't
prove it with screenshots, but I'm pretty sure that when the addon
appeared in my Firefox install, it was enabled, not disabled).

I think we should be concerned by this kind of behaviour on the part of
the supplier of our default desktop browser, and we should express that
concern to them. Assuming Fedora-as-a-project shares my concern, do we
have a channel to communicate with them about this, and request
assurances that they understand the seriousness of this, and that they
have changed policies so that nothing like it will happen in future?

Thanks.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey