Re: Firefox "Looking Glass" fiasco

Once upon a time, Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> As part of a tie-in with an American TV show, Mozilla thought it'd be a
> great idea to silently install a cryptically-named addon in all(?)
> Firefox deployments. Which can't be turned off.

I thought that this was actually a violation of the packaging policies,
but I can't seem to find it now; I only see the restriction on software
the requires downloads to be useful.  I think simply requiring Mozilla
to change their policies is unacceptable, as this still depends on a
third party to properly enforce such policies (and not have any security
issue that could result in untrusted addons being installed).

IMHO such behavior needs to be disabled by default in any packages
shipped by Fedora for Fedora to remain a trustworthy distribution.  Are
there any other packages that can silently download and run non-Fedora
code?

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>