Re: Firefox "Looking Glass" fiasco

On Mon, 2017-12-18 at 13:08 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 09:55:26AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > I think we should be concerned by this kind of behaviour on the part of
> > the supplier of our default desktop browser, and we should express that
> > concern to them. Assuming Fedora-as-a-project shares my concern, do we
> > have a channel to communicate with them about this, and request
> > assurances that they understand the seriousness of this, and that they
> > have changed policies so that nothing like it will happen in future?
>
> Is there a fundamental difference between this and, if, say, similar
> functionality were in the FF 57 release itself?

Sure. A new release coming out affords many people in the pipeline many
chances to notice changes in it. The packager has the opportunity to
notice significant changes while updating the package. Users of
updates-testing have the opportunity to notice any significant changes
before the update goes out to the broader user base. And users, unless
they have manually set up some sort of non-notifying automated update
script, either make a conscious choice to install the update or are at
least notified that it has taken place, both of which provide them with
the opportunity to examine changes and decide if they wish to accept
them.

Silently deploying an addon to existing installations of Firefox
bypasses absolutely all of the above.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey