Re: Firefox "Looking Glass" fiasco

Chris Adams wrote:
> I thought that this was actually a violation of the packaging policies,
> but I can't seem to find it now; I only see the restriction on software
> the requires downloads to be useful.  I think simply requiring Mozilla
> to change their policies is unacceptable, as this still depends on a
> third party to properly enforce such policies (and not have any security
> issue that could result in untrusted addons being installed).
>
> IMHO such behavior needs to be disabled by default in any packages
> shipped by Fedora for Fedora to remain a trustworthy distribution.

This is the very least that Fedora ought to do, and it has to be done
immediately!

In addition, for future Fedora releases, the default browser ought to be
changed to one with a more trustworthy upstream, e.g.:
* QupZilla (soon to be Falkon) [https://www.qupzilla.com/],
* GNOME Web / Epiphany [https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Web],
* Midori [http://midori-browser.org/] (the WebKit2 branch snapshots that are
  already in Fedora).

In the interest of desktop integration, I would actually suggest using a
different browser on different Spins, matching the shipped desktop
environment (QupZilla on KDE and LXQt, GNOME Web on GNOME/Workstation,
Midori on the others).

That said, QupZilla, while being a Qt application, actually has better GNOME
integration than Firefox: It uses the system icon theme out of the box, it
has native look&feel and native file dialogs thanks to QGnomePlatform, and
there is even an optional plugin to make it use GNOME Keyring.

In addition, using a browser adapted to the desktop would also provide a
much more integrated experience to our users:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Web/Docs/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#Mozilla_and_Firefox
https://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/fedora-kde/msg13235.html

        Kevin Kofler