Re: Firefox "Looking Glass" fiasco

On 12/18/2017 09:55 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
...snip...

> “Our goal with the custom experience we created with Mr. Robot was to
> engage our users in a fun and unique way,” a Mozilla representative
> said in a statement. “Real engagement also means listening to feedback.
> And so while the web extension/add-on that was sent out to Firefox
> users never collected any data, and had to be explicitly enabled by
> users playing the game before it would affect any web content, we heard
> from some of our users that the experience we created caused
> confusion.”
>
> (FWIW I don't think that statement is even factually correct; I can't
> prove it with screenshots, but I'm pretty sure that when the addon
> appeared in my Firefox install, it was enabled, not disabled).

I think even when the extension was 'enabled' you had to do something
further to cause it to do anything. But it's not very clear...

> I think we should be concerned by this kind of behaviour on the part of
> the supplier of our default desktop browser, and we should express that
> concern to them. Assuming Fedora-as-a-project shares my concern, do we
> have a channel to communicate with them about this, and request
> assurances that they understand the seriousness of this, and that they
> have changed policies so that nothing like it will happen in future?

That would be good (I don't know if we have such a channel or not).

Additionally, can we turn the "Allow firefox to install and run studies"
preference to off/false by default in Fedora packages. It seems odd that
this is now opt-out.

kevin