Re: Firefox "Looking Glass" fiasco

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2017-12-18 at 20:52 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
<snip>

So I just booted Firefox 27 Workstation live and opened Firefox.
Indeed, a pop-under tab appears with this URL (so you can close it
without even seeing it).

If you're concerned about security and privacy, you have to read.  It's not fair to cast aspersions
because you weren't paying attention.

The relevant text reads:

<snip>

I would suggest that nothing in this text reasonably covers "shield
studies"; it was clearly written to cover old-school telemetry, not
this later and more extensive capability to install custom-written add-
ons to perform additional data collection. Yet the "Allow Firefox to
install and run studies" checkbox is checked by default.

If you read the page, you'll see where there is a highlighted phrase that says:
"Choose how you want to share this data in Firefox" following by a selection button.
You are then taken to a page where you can opt-out and read more about the Fx Studies.

And in any case, a tie-in with a television-show related game is
clearly neither telemetry nor some kind of user interaction study. Yet
to me, Mozilla's response does not seem to convey understanding of this
at all. It basically just says "oh don't worry it didn't do anything by
default", which is sort of grandly missing the point.

Mozilla has already admitted they made a mistake and removed Looking Glass from the
Fx Studies.  I believe they understand the situation quite well.  It's not helpful to beat
a dead horse.