Re: Fedora Workstation visual identity [was Re: Default plymouth theme]

I'd also like to address the 2016 "Why people are cutting brand logos off
their clothing" article linked on
https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/DownstreamBranding.

The thesis of this short piece is that people — millenials,
specifically — are more interested in establishing _personal_ brands
than in identifying with corporate brands. But, Fedora is not a
corporate brand. I don't think we have that particular problem to a big
extent, and to the extent that we might, it's something for the
marketing team to work on.

It also says "what the label symbolises - perhaps tweens or older
shoppers – doesn’t always fit the image a person is trying to
construct". The things Fedora symbolizes are pretty different from the
things that fashion brands are usually associated with. (In fact,
almost diametrically opposed!)

The article also suggests that "Instead, high quality-clothing, with
the neat finishes in beautiful fabrics, speaks for itself". I like
that, and it fits with what Matthias has been saying here. But when
we're sharing the same fabrics with the rest of the open source world —
and for that matter, we're doing a lot of the sewing for the other
labels, metaphorically speaking. So that's pretty difficult. I'm open
to ideas for things we can do in this vein that are unique to Fedora.

All in all, it's a pretty short article, and doesn't have much by way
of references. Even though I'm sympathetic to some of the impulse, it's
hard to gauge how big of a trend this is, or maybe even "was". On my
way back from Brno I went through the Paris airport and there were many
people in the lines returning from shopping trips and there was a lot
of flashy branding in evidence.

Most of what I have on this is in the form of paper books, but there's
a *lot* of brand overview articles on the web which could be added.
Some:

* "Why visual identity is important for your brand"
  https://medium.com/@marienieves/why-visual-identity-is-important-for-your-brand-23d2fc5cf213

* "7 reasons why brands matter to consumers"
   https://microarts.com/insights/7-reasons-why-brands-matter-to-your-consumers/

* Quora: "Why is [sic] branding and visual identity important for
  current startups?"
  https://www.quora.com/Why-is-branding-and-visual-identity-important-for-current-startups

* Branding: The magic of visual identity
  https://thinkmarketingmagazine.com/branding-the-magic-of-visual-identity/

There's probably better things out there (the whole space is kind of
hard to search, since there's a lot of junk related to *anything* about
marketing on the internet), but could we add some of the above, or
similar? I'll try and come up with some that are more data-driven, when
it's not the weekend, if people think that would be helpful.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>