Fedora Workstation visual identity [was Re: Default plymouth theme]

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 05:18:17PM +0100, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> > I can buy your argument for initial boot-up. But not when a user is
> > seeing something for what is guaranteed to be a longer period of
> > time.
> I doubt that's what you meant, but this sounds like an advertiser
> selling his ad space, telling their customers how they have a "captive
> audience".

I don't think that's what's meant at all, no.

Fedora is not a generic, white-box operating system. People see our
logo and have positive, happy thoughts. Let's capitalize on that. I
generally hate being advertised at, but when my Android phone boots, I
don't think "oh %#$@%@, the capitalist overlords have me trapped". I
think "hey, that's a pretty nifty logo representing the device I chose
to purchase".

We've been talking about establishing some visual cues to help build
Fedora Workstation identity for a long time. Maybe Stephen's suggestion
isn't the best thing we can come up with, but c'mon, everybody. Please
come up with *something*.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>