Re: Fedora Workstation visual identity [was Re: Default plymouth theme]

On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 05:42:20AM -0500, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > > If you know of branding uses that aren't in this list:
> > > https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/DownstreamBranding
> > > please add them there.
> > I see three possible recommend states, but none of the items in the
> > list have such a flag set.
> None of them have been reviewed yet, because no designer wants to touch
> the subject. The content of this thread is why.

This says to me "no GNOME designer is invested in Fedora success".
(Additionally, the sole entry under "Related Links" on that page loudly
signals that engagement is unlikely to be productive.) That's fine.
It's not their job. That's why I bring this up here, rather than
focusing on the upstream page.

> But the discussion isn't about whether to replace GNOME branding by Fedora
> branding, but how to use different kinds of branding to reach the goals we
> set out (which we didn't explicitly yet, and that might be part of the
> problem).

The high level goal is: It is important to increase Fedora brand reach
and recognition. A strong visual identity is an important part of this.
There are several things which follow from that, but that's all there
is to the basic request.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>