Re: Fedora Workstation visual identity [was Re: Default plymouth theme]

On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 08:22:44AM -0500, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > The high level goal is: It is important to increase Fedora brand reach
> > and recognition.
> This is good, can you expand more about the goals?

Sure. I'm actually working on a Fedora Marketing language document, and
that's probably relevant here. Brand isn't the logo — it's the emotions
and ideas associated with Fedora. The Four Foundations are part of
this, and the Fedora Infinity mark nicely encapsulates the "freedom,
infinity, voice" that was our earlier motto and still part of our
project DNA. (See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/History)

The goals of distinguishing between Fedora and Debian and Arch in
specific situations are a step or two zoomed-in, I think.

We want people's daily use of their Fedora systems to tie in with the
positive associations of being a Fedora user, and more than that, being
part of the Fedora community. Visual cues which are special to Fedora
are a powerful way to build and emphasize this connection. We want
people who are not yet Fedora users to see that and be part of it. And,
again, recognizable visual cues are important here.

We're doing an excellent job with technology (and in putting that
technology together in a way that users can consume easily with little
frustration or difficulty). This is awesome. (And GNOME and the
Workstation team are a large part of that. Again, awesome.) Each happy
Fedora user, every time someone does something cool with Fedora, every
problem someone has that we solve — these things together build up our
brand. Logos and other recognizable cues help tie that all together
into a package that reinforces people's sense of belonging, trust,
connection, pride.

I'm sorry for being terse earlier, but this is why I balked at the
comments about the Details panel. That's somewhere you go when you're
looking to solve a problem. It doesn't address day-to-day interaction
at all. The wallpaper overlay is more... omnipresent (when it's not
behind windows), but I think it feels kind of tacked-on. I do like your
terminal prompt idea, especially combined with other terminal
enhancements we can provide — that's great, really. I think we need
some GUI equivalents to that as well.

I think it's worth looking at the process Canonical just went through
in adopting aspects of the Unity desktop to their new GNOME-based
environment. I don't agree with all of the specific decisions and don't
think we should copy them, but I think the *process* is important: as
they transitioned the underlying technology, they also worked to keep
the visual branding consistent. This helps them retain the trust and
goodwill they've built. (And this is the same reason I've asked the
design team for a consistent color scheme and overall sense for the
wallpaper from release to release.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>