Re: Updating the Fedora Project Mission

On 20 April 2017 at 11:18, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> The Fedora Project creates Free/Open innovative platforms that allows
>> our community to build tailored solutions for their users.
>
> Platform.  Singular.  We are providing a Platform, not a variety of them.
>
> That is part of the mission's focus.  We need to provide a common
> platform across a variety of target environments so that end
> developers and users have something to consistently rely on to develop
> or tailor.  If we provide multiple platforms it gives us no value,
> causes resource issues and confusion, and doesn't help us with
> marketing at all.
>
> I'm not meaning to pick on you, and maybe you didn't even think about
> that aspect.  I'm simply using this as an opportunity to highlight
> what we feel is a very key tenant of the new mission.

I understand, but I don't see it in how we have done things. Mainly
this is because we aren't clear on the definition of platform. To me a
platform is what you use to stick things together.. so ostree, old
releases are 2 different platforms. containers and flatpack are
different platforms, aarch64, arm, s390, ppc, i386 and x86_64 are all
different platforms. workstation, server, and whatever 3rd wheel we
are trying for this release are different platforms.

So I can see where you are coming from.. but you need to define that
somewhere to be clear so I can switch my definition of the last 20
years to this one :).

> josh

Stephen J Smoogen.