Re: Updating the Fedora Project Mission

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Karsten Wade <kwade@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 04/18/2017 01:49 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> Understood. I think even with your repair, though, the phrase is too
>> cheesy to work with.
>
> As you said, it's not only jargon but an idiom, therefore hard to
> translate. It would require explanation to non-native English speakers
> as well.

To everyone that dislikes "light up", OK.  We hear you.  We debated
this phrase repeatedly in the Council FAD.  All the other terminology
didn't play well either:

"enables": this was second place, but what does that mean?  We do
specific hardware enablement?  No, we don't.
"powers": Also jargon-y and weird
"turns on": Archaic, technically incorrect, and has awkward double meaning
"boots": technically accurate, but very limiting in terms of the
platform Fedora is aiming to provide
"drives, facilitates, switches on, is the core of": all pretty vague

Please provide alternatives rather than just say it is jargon-y.

Also, I don't want to bikeshed this mission to death word-for-word.
Perfect is the enemy of good.  If "enables" is what everyone feels is
best, great.

josh