Re: Updating the Fedora Project Mission

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Platform.  Singular.  We are providing a Platform, not a variety of them.
>>

> We are not, though. Modular Fedora, Atomic Fedora, and regular Fedora
> are all distinctly different platforms with different delivery
> mechanisms and core technologies. Unless you plan to take an axe to
> Modular and Atomic Fedora, we're providing multiple platforms.

Those are not platforms.  Those are ways we compose Fedora, or
artifacts of our release.  The platform being defined is the set of
services and APIs we provide to other things to consume.  That is
distinctly different than the artifacts they may choose to use.

E.g.:

- A time synchronization service and API is defined in the platform
  - An implementation of that might be ntpd.  Or chrony.  Or some
systemd thing.  As long as the API and service remains consistent, the
platform is consistent.
  - Modularity is a mechanism to define these services an APIs at a
higher level than per package.  It lets us set the platform at "we
provide a webserver", not "we provide apache and nginx and lighttpd.
take your pick".  You can still choose specific webservers, but the
module definition for each will hopefully fulfill the platform API.
That's one of the goals.

- The platform will be delivered in a number of different artifact types
  - Atomic images consumable by cloud, embedded
  - qcow2 consumable by virt
  - traditional isos and RPMs

In all of those artifacts, the platform is the same.

josh