[RFC] Shutdown rewrite for 1.5.x

Darren Salt wrote:
>> We re-define SIGHUP, so that it doesn't terminate VDR instantly, but
>> instead checks for activity. If user and vdr is inactive, act just like
>> sigterm, if there's some activity, ignore the signal.
>
>> An external script could then repeat sending the SIGHUP periodically until
>> termination did succeed.
>
> That'd be start-stop-daemon, most likely, which means that the task would
> have to be backgrounded. Its -R option is useful for this - something like
> "-R forever/-HUP/5", I think - but it's just possible that VDR may become
> inactive then active without receiving a signal in between.
>
> However, that doesn't fit in well with runvdr, or at least with my version

In this case I guess your runvdr is the one that should send the signals
to VDR, as it also will know if VDR did terminate. And at least your
runvdr probably knows your update strategies.

I'm currently coding it in a way that SIGHUP issues a VDR restart (exit
code 1), if no serious activity (cutting, recording, plugins) is going
on - just like the setup menu restart command. Otherwise, the signal is
ignored.

Cheers,

Udo