[RFC] Shutdown rewrite for 1.5.x

I demand that VDR User may or may not have written...

> On 2/8/07, Marko M?kel? <marko.makela@xxxxxx> wrote:

(August already?)

>> On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 01:08:33PM +0200, Rolf Ahrenberg wrote:
>>> BTW, I'm very used to VDR's current behaviour to shutdown itself after
>>> the recording is made and don't want to get rid of that one either.
>> As far as I understand, nobody has suggested that we should get rid of
>> that feature.  You could compare this to an analog VCR.  I would believe
>> that they refuse to power off when there is a timed recording going on.

> Yes, exactly.

> In my opinion, the behavior should be that the power button engages an
> immediate shutdown.  Period.

An appropriate signal, probably SIGTERM, should also do this.

> The ONLY exception to this would be if vdr is currently recording
> something, in which case a warning comes up and asks you to confirm the
> shutdown.

Agreed. SIGHUP.

Then there's the upgrade restart, which should be available via a signal. The
actual restart should be deferred if VDR is currently busy. (It is *possible*
to implement this via runvdr, but it's a lot easier to handle if VDR can
re-exec itself.)

[snip]
| + Use more efficient products. Use less.          BE MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT.

Patch griefs with proverbs.