[RFC] Shutdown rewrite for 1.5.x

Darren Salt wrote:
> Then there's the upgrade restart, which should be available via a signal. The
> actual restart should be deferred if VDR is currently busy. (It is *possible*
> to implement this via runvdr, but it's a lot easier to handle if VDR can
> re-exec itself.)

Hmmmm. Some kind of i-am-idle-lets-do-a-restart state? I'm not really
sure what makes this different to the existing stuff.

Surely, an upgrade should not interrupt ongoing activity. If the VDR
does automatic shutdown, then the answer is simple: Do your upgrade on
next shutdown or restart. Thats the earliest time anyway.

I guess the only situation that may cause a problem is if the VDR never
shuts down, eg. has no shutdown script at all. It must have some "Min
User Inactivity" setting, or else live viewing could be interrupted by
the automatic update.

Some kind of temporary shutdown script could do the trick. In normal
situations, there's no shutdown because of no shutdown script, but in
case of pending updates, a temporary shutdown script does the update.

For example, a plugin may be possible that reacts on a SVDRP command
(request for update), and that sets a temporary shutdown script (calls
Shutdown.SetShutdownCommand()). As soon as the script exists, the
inactivity shutdown will be back, but instead of shutting down, the
script stops VDR, installs the update and restarts.

Cheers,

Udo