[RFC] Shutdown rewrite for 1.5.x

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 10:40:44PM +0100, Udo Richter wrote:
> Marko M?kel? wrote:
> >>You can shut down while playback, you just have to confirm it. And if
> >>you don't confirm it, VDR will shut down 5 minutes after the playback
> >>ends.
> >
> >Sure, if the playback ends.  It won't end with my patched softdevice
> >that stops the playback of recordings when Shutdown.IsUserInactive()
> >returns true.
>
> I do understand this right: If your softdevice detects IsUserInactive,
> then it sends a 'stop playback' to VDR? Weired...

It doesn't actually send anything to VDR; it'll just return 0 from
cDevice::PlayVideo() and cDevice::PlayAudio().  It will also have to
sleep a little, because otherwise VDR would use 100% of CPU.

> I guess the most natural behavior would be to pretend that you're
> playing back normally, eg. make softdevice eat the incoming data stream
> at normal speed without decoding it.

Well, that would still break this scenario: You're watching a recording
while it is being recorded.  Then you get interrupted and push the Power
button.  Before the timed recording finishes and VDR gets a chance to
shut down, you get back and push a button to switch to interactive state.
You will be surprised to see that the playback doesn't resume from the
same position.

> >Then, VDR wouldn't shut down unexpectedly while playing back
> >a recording even if the inactivity timeout kicks in.  But VDR wouldn't
> >ask for confirmation when pressing the Power key.  Thus, no new
> >configuration option would be necessary.
>
> More easy, just drop the playback check completely. A running playback
> means that the !Interact check in vdr.c will prevent any housekeeping
> and thus automatic shutdown.

Before writing my previous message, I added #if 0 #endif around the
NowReplaying() check in shutdown.c, and it seems to work.  VDR will be
powered off during playback if there is no timed recording going on.

> But again, that way you cannot get VDR into inactive mode manually while
> playback.

Is that feature necessary?  If you believe so, maybe you could introduce
a configuration option for enabling it?  The default behaviour would be
to obey the Power button immediately.  The option could be named
something like "Shutdown during playback must be confirmed".

	Marko