[RFC] Shutdown rewrite for 1.5.x

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 08:11:03PM +0000, Darren Salt wrote:
> I demand that VDR User may or may not have written...
>
> > On 2/8/07, Marko M?kel? <marko.makela@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> (August already?)

Hey, I wrote that on 2007-02-08 (ISO date) or 8.2.2007 (German or
Finnish style date).  I think there are at least 3 permutations of
/-separated dates in different locales.

> > In my opinion, the behavior should be that the power button engages an
> > immediate shutdown.  Period.
>
> An appropriate signal, probably SIGTERM, should also do this.
>
> > The ONLY exception to this would be if vdr is currently recording
> > something, in which case a warning comes up and asks you to confirm the
> > shutdown.
>
> Agreed. SIGHUP.

Brilliant idea.  This would also simplify the ACPI powerbutton event
script, whose name escapes me right now.  I modified the script on my
system to send "HITK Power" via SVDRP, but it would be much cleaner
and probably somewhat faster to send a signal.

Darren, if your packages end up in the official Debian, I hope you will
also provide a nice hook for the ACPI powerbutton event.  (If vdr is
running, signal it.  Otherwise, shut down the system normally.)

	Marko