EPIA M with FF Card

tony wrote:
> I do not have any issues with interlacing (maybe because my screen is
> small) on digital signals.

I cannot say much about the EPIA TV-out or VGA/DVI, but I do have some
experience in de-interlacing technology, so I'm sure this must be an issue.

As long as the video material is progressive (like movies usually),
everything is fine. But if the material is real interlaced,
de-interlacing must be done.

Most simple way is weaving, but this gives noticeable comb-like
artifacts on anything that moves. Really ugly.

Second most simple is bobbing, interpolate missing lines. This degrades
vertical resolution noticeably and gives pixel steps on diagonal lines
and round corners. Some may know this from DVB still pictures: DVB
switches from interlaced to simple bob-like skip-field in pause mode.

Another simple is averaging: Blend half frames together. Used together
with bobbing to bring back some resolution, but introduces shadow
pictures that can be seen even in live video.

Most common is adaptive weave/bob or adaptive weave/average: Use weaving
for non-moving areas and bobbing/averaging for moving areas. Quality
depends noticeable on the quality of the motion detection and will give
either weave or bob/average artifacts sometimes. In any case, moving
things like stock ticker on news channels will be bobbed/averaged,
giving lower quality.

High-end are motion interpolation technologies that actually track
moving parts of the picture and interpolate missing lines by using
motion-interpolated lines. While doing this, its even possible to
smoothly increase the frame rate without introducing judder.

These high-end systems are used in better 100Hz tube TVs and flat screen
TVs, running on specialized signal processors. A computer implementation
of this method is available in WinDVD6 , but requires a whopping 3GHz
CPU power to run smoothly. (Trimension[1] licensed from Philips)

Based on that, my conclusion is that de-interlacing is done best inside
the TV, not in the PC, and that means output as PAL720x576noscale
without de-interlacing, no matter what connector you use, though this
will be challenging on VGA/DVI.

Cheers,

Udo

[1] http://www.trimension.com/index.php?page=products.html