EPIA M with FF Card

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 11:38 +0200, Nicolas Huillard wrote:

{snippage}

> I'd definitely recommend CLE266 / software decoding. The details depend
> on your hardware setup : use Xine if you have or need X (either vdr-xine
> or xineliboutput), which nearly requires a keyboard/mouse. Use
> softdevice if you want a real set-top-box (no keyboard or mouse, just
> the remote).
> Using the VGA-out of the mobo will give you full resolutions on LCD TV,
> even s-video out could be perfect in the next months.

I'm currently setting up and testing an Epia MII13000 system using the
xine plugin and the S-Video output. The quality of this is now quite
good as long as you use a new version of the Unichrome driver which
supports the 720x576Noscale modes (for PAL, at least: I think there are
equivalent modes for NTSC).

> I personnaly use lastest VDR + softdevice, which requires
> compiling/packaging skills. This is definately rewarding. The simplest
> way is to use the FF HW decoder. If you want to use the most hardware of
> you mobo, without compiling, go for vdr-xine or xineliboutput.
> * vdr-xine : the plugin provides a socket through which a regular Xine
> conn connect and get the VDR output. There is recent network support
> (VDR on the server, Xine on a remote client). Problems can arise because
> you have two processes to manage (client + server), not counting the
> whole X)
> * xineliboutput : the author didn't announce it on this ML (lastest
> version is quite recent). Directly link libxine in the VDR binary, thus
> no client/server problem, but still the whole Xine functionnality, and
> requires X.

With the above setup, I am seeing a CPU load of ca. 1-2% for X itself
and anything from 6-35% for xine. I have yet to sort out what is causing
the range of CPU loads: other people have mentioned a figure of ca. 15%
if hardware decoding is working properly.

I am starting X using 'startx' with a very minimal .xinitrc which just
runs xine in a loop with the desired options.

If you already have a full-featured card, you can try the output from
each and see which works best.

Cheers,

Laz