EPIA M with FF Card

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 12:53 +0200, Leo M?rquez wrote:
> Hi again,
>

> > Without X, you can use softdevice on DirectFB (softdevice has a choice
> > of 4 output methods : plain frame-buffer (slow), vidix (need root
> > access), DirectFB and X/Xv.
>
> Vidix is this? (from vdr wiki):
>       ? Quasi hardware decoding through XvMC (/*XV*ideo *M*otion
> *C*ompensation/) with low CPU load

vidix is not XvMC. vidix is a library for direct access to the graphics
hardware's overlay buffer. It allows writing pixelvalues directly,
avoiding any X server or console fb api interaction. The graphics
hardware will do scaling and colour space conversion.

XvMC is an X11 extension, so requires an X server. I think there are
libraries to do this without an X server when using epia hardware, but I
am not familiar with it.

> Or this?:
>
>     * Software decoding.

Yes.

> With overlay output via Xv (/*XV*ideo/).
>
> Works with all graphic cars (Option /v4l/ in *XF86config*)

vidix can be used with either a framebuffer setup (kernel module), or
with X11. This is because vidix itself doesn't know how to set up
refresh rates and other parameters to get the graphics card running. It
only knows how and where to push pixels. And it has nothing to do with
v4l or XVideo.

--
Torgeir Veimo <torgeir@xxxxxxxxx>