EPIA M with FF Card

Sebastian a ?crit :
> Leo M?rquez schrieb:
>
>>Hi!
>>I have an EPIA M motherboard and a Nexus-s FF DVB-s card.
>>What kind of VDR/plugins implementation do you recommend to me?
>
> The Epia will be too slow to play MPEG4 I bet. So you don't have to
> bother with the MPlayer-Plugin. But you can have anything else, like
> DVD, VCD, Image, MP3 etc.

EPIA *might* be too slow to transcode MPEG4 to MPEG1/2 for the Nexus
(that's how the mplayer-plugin work). It won't be too slow for direct
MPEGS4 decoding using a sogftware decoder and direct output through the
VGA card (see the softplay plugin used with softdevice, or the
xine-player script used with vdr-xine).
This can influence your decision.

>>What mpeg2 hardware decoder you recommend to use? The nexus mpeg2
>>decoder included in the dvb-s pci card or the mpeg2 decoder included in
>>the CLE266 chipset?
>
> Definitely the Nexus's mpeg2 decoder.

Advice definitely differ ! (see my previous post)

>>Can I turn the FF card and use a cheaper budget card with the CLE266 hw
>>mpeg decoder with the same quality?
>
> Possible, but hard to set up. Don't bother with it in the beginning. DON'T!

One thing we agree upon : software decoding is hard to setup.
Out-of-the-box VDR is definitely based on FF-card. On the other hand,
software decoding has really matured since a year.
Decide if you can spend enough time to setup software decoding, and be
rewarded for you hard work, or just plug-and-play and have no fun ;-)

--
NH