EPIA M with FF Card

Leo M?rquez a ?crit :
> Thanks Nicolas and Sebastian for your answers. I notice that is a
> polemic question (2 answers, 2 different opinions ;-) )
> I have already build and VDR in a common PC compiling it from source
> code. I am arranged to spend time setting up my VDR if I obtain the
> thing I need taking the best advantage of my hw. I don't have a LCD
> monitor but in the future it's probably.

So you're ready for the software decoding (ie. no FF DVB card) ! Welcome
on board.

> I use debian but I think I don't need X. I want my VDR to see and record
> TV, play mpeg4 movies, dvd, mp3 and I will try to play with emulators
> like MAME, Xbox, etc.
> Do you think I need X? Is needed for software decoding?

X + Xine = HW decoding using the CLE266.
Xine without X won't do it.
Softdevice won't do it right now.
Without X, you can use softdevice on DirectFB (softdevice has a choice
of 4 output methods : plain frame-buffer (slow), vidix (need root
access), DirectFB and X/Xv.
The last 3 will use accelerated video support (blit, colorspace
conversion, scaling). DirectFB also supports transparent OSD with no CPU
  load (don't know for the others).
If you plan to use softdevice, subscribe to the
softdevice-devel@xxxxxxxxxx ML.
I don't know if MAME/XBox make use of DirectFB, and if they will
integrate well with VDR (fight for the output, or transparent playground
over live video !). DirectFB has support for windowing through
XDirectFB, if you're brave enough (I'm not).

> Can I use the mobo HW decoder to play dvd's and soft decoder to play mpeg4?

I you use Xine on X, yes. This implies vdr-xine or xineliboutput.

--
NH