EPIA M with FF Card

En/na Nicolas Huillard ha escrit:

> Leo M?rquez a ?crit :
>
>> Thanks Nicolas and Sebastian for your answers. I notice that is a
>> polemic question (2 answers, 2 different opinions ;-) )
>> I have already build and VDR in a common PC compiling it from source
>> code. I am arranged to spend time setting up my VDR if I obtain the
>> thing I need taking the best advantage of my hw. I don't have a LCD
>> monitor but in the future it's probably.
>

> So you're ready for the software decoding (ie. no FF DVB card) !
> Welcome on board.

Thanks!

>> I use debian but I think I don't need X. I want my VDR to see and
>> record TV, play mpeg4 movies, dvd, mp3 and I will try to play with
>> emulators like MAME, Xbox, etc.
>> Do you think I need X? Is needed for software decoding?
>

> X + Xine = HW decoding using the CLE266.
> Xine without X won't do it.
> Softdevice won't do it right now.
> Without X, you can use softdevice on DirectFB (softdevice has a choice
> of 4 output methods : plain frame-buffer (slow), vidix (need root
> access), DirectFB and X/Xv.
> The last 3 will use accelerated video support (blit, colorspace
> conversion, scaling). DirectFB also supports transparent OSD with no
> CPU  load (don't know for the others).
> If you plan to use softdevice, subscribe to the
> softdevice-devel@xxxxxxxxxx ML.
> I don't know if MAME/XBox make use of DirectFB, and if they will
> integrate well with VDR (fight for the output, or transparent
> playground over live video !). DirectFB has support for windowing
> through XDirectFB, if you're brave enough (I'm not).

I'm receiving a lot of new information! thanks. I try to understand it
considering my english level is not high.
I'm between:
     - X + Xine
          But I'm afraid about performance with running X. What desktop
you recommend? windowmaker?
          Any ideas to take advantge from X aside from Xine?

     - Softdevice + DirectFB (unichrome for hw acceleration?)

>> Can I use the mobo HW decoder to play dvd's and soft decoder to play
>> mpeg4?
>

> I you use Xine on X, yes. This implies vdr-xine or xineliboutput.

What are the difs on this plugins?
Thanks

--
Salutacions,