EPIA M with FF Card

Leo M?rquez a ?crit :
> I'm receiving a lot of new information! thanks. I try to understand it
> considering my english level is not high.
> I'm between:
>     - X + Xine
>          But I'm afraid about performance with running X. What desktop
> you recommend? windowmaker?

No desktop. See Laurence Abbott's reply. No performance impact, except
that X in memory hungry, and Xine also. 256MB for VDR + Xine + X is a
minimum (with a little swapping).
128MB is enough for VDR + softdevice (128MB more for disk cache is
marvelous)

>          Any ideas to take advantge from X aside from Xine?

I think that a VDR box must remain an easy to use, always ready
comodity, so nothing else must be there. Thus no other use for X...

>     - Softdevice + DirectFB (unichrome for hw acceleration?)

HW acceleration in this case is only Xv-equivalent, not XvMC.

>> I you use Xine on X, yes. This implies vdr-xine or xineliboutput.
>
> What are the difs on this plugins?

See previous posts. Since I didn't use xineliboutput, I can't really say
for it. What I understand is that xineliboutput is between vdr-xine and
softdevice : it uses libxine like vdr-xine (ie. all the codecs,
processing steps, output methods of xine), but links to vdr like
softdevice (ie. single process, low memory footprint).

--
NH