EPIA M with FF Card

Laurence Abbott a ?crit :
> On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 14:18 +0200, Nicolas Huillard wrote:
>
>>Laurence Abbott a ?crit :

>>>supports the 720x576Noscale modes (for PAL, at least: I think there are
>>I think this mode is still in the unichrome CVS repository (ie. not
>>released yet).
>
> It's an Epia MII that I've got which has the VT1622a rather than the
> VT122 encoder chip and the Noscale mode wasn't available for it until I
> hacked one together.

What method, documents, etc. did you use to get that mode working ?
I had a mail exchange with the unichrome maintainer who added the
720x576Noscale mode to CVS, but he uses tools that do not work with the
frame-buffer driver.
Whatever tiny information would help me.
I plan to check what differences exist between the scaled and noscale
modes in the X driver, and merge them back into the frame-buffer driver.
That process will certainly exhaust my patience and time very quickly,
but I think it's worth to try.

> What is the current status of softdevice / frambuffer / HW acceleration
> for the CLE266 chipset? Are there any up-to-date HOWTOs for this? I
> looked into this a couple of months back and there seemed to be a lot of
> conflicting information! Is it now simply a case of installing DirectFB
> and setting permissions on /dev/fb/0, or whatever? What kernel modules
> are needed, and are they they stock kernel via framebuffer driver, or do
> I need a CVS checkout for that?

I'm in the process to cleaning things up in my setup (the goal being
proper Debian packages for softdevice plugin). Things are not quite
clear right now, but the summary would be like :
* use standard kernel
* add the viafb frame-buffer driver from http://patcher2k.012webpages.com/
* compile viafb as a module, but no vesafb or cle266vgaio (IIRC)
* /etc/directfbrc and /etc/fb.modes have to be cleaned up
* get DirectFB, DFB++, FFmpeg, et al. from CVS (older version might work)
* compile softdevice and enjoy !
Little problems I still have are related to /etc/directfbrc.

> I was trying to get softdevice to work under Gentoo which was a complete
> nightmare. Changed to Debian and things were much easier, although I had
> moved onto the X / xine method by then.

If you wait long enough, I could provide working packages for Debian
through Tobias Grimm's official Debian repository...

> I'm only running X at the moment because I got that to work! I have no
> other need for it on that box.

I took the time make have softdevice working, and I'm really pleased of
it. Join the softdevice-devel ML on BerliOS if you're interested.

--
NH