EPIA M with FF Card

On Wednesday 18 May 2005 18:27, Nicolas Huillard wrote:
> Laurence Abbott a ?crit :
> > It's an Epia MII that I've got which has the VT1622a rather than the
> > VT122 encoder chip and the Noscale mode wasn't available for it until I
> > hacked one together.
>
> What method, documents, etc. did you use to get that mode working ?
> I had a mail exchange with the unichrome maintainer who added the
> 720x576Noscale mode to CVS, but he uses tools that do not work with the
> frame-buffer driver.
> Whatever tiny information would help me.

The unichrome drivers currently use modes from a table, rather than being
created on-the-fly due to a lack of info from Via. The 720x576Noscale mode
for the VT1622, i.e. Epia M series and others, was written by Terry Barnaby
and submitted to the unichrome-users mailing list. With some pointers from
him and a bit of prodding-registers-whilst-watching-the-picture, I created a
similar patch for the VT1622a found in the Epia MII that I have and he
didn't. This was a few weeks back and I don't know if any of the patches have
made it into the proper CVS tree or not. The structure of the mode table
changed somewhere along the line, too, which added to the fun!

> I plan to check what differences exist between the scaled and noscale
> modes in the X driver, and merge them back into the frame-buffer driver.
> That process will certainly exhaust my patience and time very quickly,
> but I think it's worth to try.

What is the DirectFB driver like? Is that using tables similarly? (I've just
grabbed the latest DirectB but have yet to look at it.) I can forward a copy
of the patches on to you (or this list) if you like. What modes can DirectFB
do currently? I see that there is a unichrome driver and a cle266 driver:
which one do I want?

> > What is the current status of softdevice / frambuffer / HW acceleration
> > for the CLE266 chipset? Are there any up-to-date HOWTOs for this? I
> > looked into this a couple of months back and there seemed to be a lot of
> > conflicting information! Is it now simply a case of installing DirectFB
> > and setting permissions on /dev/fb/0, or whatever? What kernel modules
> > are needed, and are they they stock kernel via framebuffer driver, or do
> > I need a CVS checkout for that?
>
> I'm in the process to cleaning things up in my setup (the goal being
> proper Debian packages for softdevice plugin). Things are not quite
> clear right now, but the summary would be like :
> * use standard kernel
> * add the viafb frame-buffer driver from http://patcher2k.012webpages.com/
> * compile viafb as a module, but no vesafb or cle266vgaio (IIRC)
> * /etc/directfbrc and /etc/fb.modes have to be cleaned up
> * get DirectFB, DFB++, FFmpeg, et al. from CVS (older version might work)
> * compile softdevice and enjoy !
> Little problems I still have are related to /etc/directfbrc.

I'll give it a go... Debian currently doesn't have DFB++ packages, or not that
I've found.

> > I was trying to get softdevice to work under Gentoo which was a complete
> > nightmare. Changed to Debian and things were much easier, although I had
> > moved onto the X / xine method by then.
>
> If you wait long enough, I could provide working packages for Debian
> through Tobias Grimm's official Debian repository...

Sounds good but I may have had a bit of a play by then!

;)

> > I'm only running X at the moment because I got that to work! I have no
> > other need for it on that box.
>
> I took the time make have softdevice working, and I'm really pleased of
> it. Join the softdevice-devel ML on BerliOS if you're interested.

I may just do that. How well does the softdevice plugin handle things like AFD
modes which need expanding and cropping, etc.?

Cheers,

Laz