EPIA M with FF Card

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 14:18 +0200, Nicolas Huillard wrote:
> Laurence Abbott a ?crit :
>
> > I'm currently setting up and testing an Epia MII13000 system using the
> > xine plugin and the S-Video output. The quality of this is now quite
> > good as long as you use a new version of the Unichrome driver which
> > supports the 720x576Noscale modes (for PAL, at least: I think there are
> > equivalent modes for NTSC).
>
> I plan to merge that mode back to the frame-buffer driver. Are you
> really happy with this it ?

It is a marked improvement over the overscan modes and something like
800x600. When I first got the board, the output was really bad. I
eventually found it was because it was running at 1024x768 (rather than
the 720x576 I'd asked for) and this was being scaled to 720x576 by the
encoder chip giving a really nasty flickery and blurry image.

> I think this mode is still in the unichrome CVS repository (ie. not
> released yet).

It's an Epia MII that I've got which has the VT1622a rather than the
VT122 encoder chip and the Noscale mode wasn't available for it until I
hacked one together.

What is the current status of softdevice / frambuffer / HW acceleration
for the CLE266 chipset? Are there any up-to-date HOWTOs for this? I
looked into this a couple of months back and there seemed to be a lot of
conflicting information! Is it now simply a case of installing DirectFB
and setting permissions on /dev/fb/0, or whatever? What kernel modules
are needed, and are they they stock kernel via framebuffer driver, or do
I need a CVS checkout for that?

I was trying to get softdevice to work under Gentoo which was a complete
nightmare. Changed to Debian and things were much easier, although I had
moved onto the X / xine method by then.

I'm only running X at the moment because I got that to work! I have no
other need for it on that box.

;)

Cheers,

Laz