Re: Steve Brown is a jerk!! He should be fired!

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 00:59:34 AM -0800, Paul Lesniewski
(paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> No maybe not, but everyone like yourself who has jumped on this so
> hard is being very unfair in not understanding or acknowledging that
> the request was inappropriately sent...

Actually, I *did* understand it and acknowledge it, _and_ then I said it
was no excuse. No need to insist on this.

> [FOSS developers] send out hundreds of similarly-worded messages.

yes, this is a general attitude problem. I've been fighting with the
problem it creates for years now.

> It's preposterous to over-generalize with statements like yours:
> "[this is] the problem for Squirrelmail and the general FOSS
> community".

Personally, I have never had such problems because I do know how to
look and ask for FOSS support. I know that the FOSS community isn't
defined by such episodes (and I still remain a happy Squirrelmail
user, if that matter: I've always had useful, polite and pretty fast
support here when I needed). I am concerned about the general
problem. The fact is that it is exactly many FOSS activist which, so
far, have never bothered:

> thinking about the human factors involved in such situations.

that is how the whole rest of the world sees software

> However, if you or any such person continues to think that these
> kinds of attitudes are in fact what defines SquirrelMail and the
> rest of the FOSS community,

I *know* this is not the case and actively work to change this
perception (see the "Opinions" section of the website in my signature
to know more). It's not what *I* think. It is a fact that one of the
reasons why FOSS in general isn't more used is just because the
average non geek is often treated in that way even when he or she
_asks_ that kind of questions in the right place.

> abuse and disrespect, and as far as I'm concerned, we don't actually
> owe you much more than what we are already giving.

?? Respect (not to me, referring to the original episode) and good
manners remain due "just because", at least at first contact: that was
the main point. Of course one cannot _demand_ more *support* from a
FOSS developer than he or she is freely willing to give and is already
giving.

> > This said, I'm happy for Squirrelmail that this story has at least
> > helped to make some documentation clearer and yes, it's time to go
> > on.

I agree 100%.

	Marco

--
The right way to make everybody love Free Standards and Free Software:
http://digifreedom.net/node/73